Well, the results are in. My youngest son has now been diagnosed with Asperger's disorder. I am not excited about that, but I knew in my heart that this was the problem. I am wondering what the near future will hold for us, what medications he will be put on and taken off of, and how he will learn to interact with everyone. My oldest son has thrived thanks to his teachers, the people he's been involved with and our home. My youngest is smart as a whip, like his brother, and does quite well on his academics, but the anger needs to be under more control. My hope for him is that his frustrations and anger become easier for him to deal with and he is happy.
Last week, when I saw Dr. Temple Grandin, the statistics of parents with an autistic child that end up divorced were discussed. Surprisingly, the divorce rate among these couples is somewhere between 70% and 90%. I found this statistic depressing. I have been thankful that my husband and I have always been able to work through these problems together. I know if he wasn't who he is, this would not have worked. We have both been committed to these little fellows and to each other. I wonder what is wrong in the world when people lose sight of this. What happened to "in sickness or in health?" Truly, we have had our problems, but we always have talked them out.
In spite of these things, it is easy to feel alone. As much as I love him, he isn't always easy to talk to and tends to keep his feelings to himself. I know we will get through this, but it may be difficult. Thankfully, we have talked about this diagnosis, as well as a few others that we were imagining it could be, before the evaluation was complete. We were prepared in the best sense of the word. But even being prepared doesn't always help. As tough as my exterior appears to be, as soon as I could I cried, and he held me, and things were okay.
No comments:
Post a Comment